Thursday, February 26, 2009

Oscar Fashion 2009

Evan Rachel Wood wears Elie Saab and far far too much makeup for such a young girl. The dress is lovely on her; however, I think a slightly darker shade of apricot would be better against her pale skin.

Kate Winslet wore Yves Saint Laurent. I've seen lots of compliments on this, but frankly, I'm not feeling it. Her makeup and hair are gorgeous, but the black lace on the dress is a bit matronly.

Marisa Tomei went a little overboard with Versace. Too much dress, too little girl.

Tilda Swinton is a Lanvin gal. She looks a bit less-freaky than she has in the past, but I'm not loving the gather on the blouse paired with a ruffle on the skirt. One is fine, but not both.

Meryl Streep is flawless in Alberta Feretti. I love everything about this - the color, her hair, her makeup.

Sarah Jessica Parker is wearing Dior couture and a super-duper push-up bra. While I love the bodice on this dress, and the color, I'm thinking the tulle is a bit much. And please, Jessica - keep the brunette hair. It is so flattering on you.

Ms Loren needs to start toning it down a bit and leaving the 70s dresses in the closet. Yeah, I know she's an icon and all that, but she looks like a bag of Ruffles potato chips.

Melissa Leo dressed as a girl! Whoda thunk? The gown is tragic, however. The color is not working on her, and the dropped waist makes her look dumpy.

Angelia Jolie is wearing Elie Saab, very quiet and understated. Her choice of bold emerald jewelry (115 carats on the ears, 65 in the ring) by Lorraine Schwartz was perfection - still simple, but adding a much-needed splash of color.

Anne Hathaway is wearing a lovely Armani Privé covered with graduated sizes of pailettes. It looks like it weighs more than her (and probably does). While the gown is gorgeous, it's a bit too pale in color for her porcelain skin.

Miley Cyrus looks ridiculous in an over-embellished Zuhair Murad. She looks like she has scales. Ugh.

Penelope Cruz in a gorgeous vintage Balmain. She seldom goes wrong and she's definitely in the right here. But...I think the bodice is a little snug.

I hate Marion Cotillard's Dior Couture dress.

Jessica Biel is wearing Prada. And ugly black clunky shoes (mercifully hidden). I don't love the dress with its sloppy tucked-in-dinner-napkin look, but I do love that she's wearing lipstick with color. So many big-lipped gals try to hide their assets with a beige lip that just makes them look washed out.

Beyoncé is wearing a truly monstrous House of Derriere Dereon. She looks like a giant sofa cushion. (Money, she has plenty of. Taste, not so much.)

I can't help but think "Spiderman" when I see Amy Adams' Carolina Herrera gown. And part of me loves the bejeweled Fred Leighton collar (with 630 carats of rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and diamonds), but most of me hates it. I think it is completely mismatched with the dress. She looks like she belongs under a Christmas tree.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin