Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Comme des Garcons Daphne Guinness

Daphne Guinness, heiress (Guinness brewery) may seem an elegant socialite outwardly, but inside, she must have quite a bit of hippie in her. Her namesake scent, by Comme des Garcons, is a frolic in a head shop with its notes of jasmine and incense, patchouli and vanilla. But leave it to CdG to make headshop smell...expensive. After the initial blast of hippie dippy fades, the scent becomes a more sophisticated melange of saffron and rose that has more than a hint of the Middle East in it, with a warm vanilla drydown.
At this point it reminds me a bit of one of the Montale scents, a more well-done Rose Mukhalat perhaps.

I'm generally a big fan of CdG fragrances, but I'm still quite torn over this one. I like parts of it, but the initial head-shop essence is a real turn-off for me. But...it's quirky and interesting, apparently like the real Daphne. Worth a try at the very least.

Notes: bitter orange, incense, saffron, rose centifolia, Tunisian jasmine, tuberose, iris, patchouli, oud, amber, vanilla

Sample obtained by me from Luckyscent.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin