Friday, July 10, 2009

Valentino Fall 2009 Couture

Here's a recap of recent Valentino history: Valentino retires. He appoints Alessandra Facchinetti to carry on his legacy. She fails and is replaced by accessories designers Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli. Their Spring collection was in the Valentino mold and pretty safe, but the Fall collection is something else entirely. A preponderance of black, plus grey and nude, keeps the looks somber, and lots of beading and wee details make it just a bit "too much."

I feel that the simpler pieces work best.

Whereas the ruffly, floofy ones are a bit of a mess. Ruffles on the blouse, skirt, AND shoes? Too much.

This is just plain unattractive.

As is this.

Lady, I think your slip is showing.

This is nice, but again, it's simple.

The opposite of simple = awful.

Ditto. The bust treatment looks sloppy and unfinished. (I feel like I'm judging Project Runway.)

Too much crap going on.

Ugh.

This I like, but not with the ruffly shoes.

This I hate. She looks like some mutated sea creature.

Twee, but mostly ok.

A close-up of the ruffled shoes. Do the ruffles brush against the ankles? I would find that annoying. Love the super-pointy toe, though.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin