Friday, March 18, 2011

A Mini Sniffing Tour of Bergdorf Goodman

If you are a bit of a fragrance aficionado but have never experienced the beauty floor at Bergdorf Goodman in New York, make sure you get yourself there next time you are in the Big Apple. BG is always one of my favorite places to visit, not only because of the great selection of beauty and fragrance brands, but also because the people who work there are so darn nice. If you're lucky enough to meet Tom Crutchfield at the Annick Goutal booth, get him to take you around the department and show you what's new.  Not only does he have a breadth of knowledge on the subject of fragrance, but he is also a fan who gets as swoony over his favorite scents as you and I.

On a recent trip to NY, I made my usual pilgrimage to Bergie's and after a quick trip to the Paul & Joe counter to pick up a tube of my favorite under-eye cream (which was discontinued and replaced by a day gel/night cream duo - grrr), I wandered into the small room near the up escalator to do some serious sniffing. There I met Tom who graciously gave me a tour of the new fragrances that had come out since my last trip to NY in April of 2010.

Out of the several scents I tested, some of my favorites included the Rose Oud and Incense Oud by Kilian - gorgeous, deep, and long-lasting scents sold at the ridiculously high price of $395 per 50ml. Honestly, a good $100 of that is paying for the fancy lacquered box, and who needs yet another dust collector on his or her dresser? I never have (and probably never will) buy a Kilian scent because of this unnecessary extravagance.

Anyhoo...other fragrances of note were the lovely new Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau, a fun toast-and-apricot-jam scent that is on the top of my "must buy" list at the moment. I had already tested Maison Francis Kurkdjian Cologne Pour Le Matin via Luckyscent.com sample, and I wanted to compare the Cologne to the Absolue version. They are similar yet different, and after trying both at BG, I think I do prefer the Cologne. Another striking cologne is the new Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee, a very light, yet still very vanilla scent. I initially thought it was a bit too fleeting on my skin, but I noticed that it was the only sample that I could still detect on my skin after several hours of walking around during an unseasonably warm day of putting my jacket on and taking it off several times.

After a quick make-up application by the very talented David Aikman and a chat with the lovely Donna Muzio at the Estee Lauder counter (and of course a purchase of the new Bronze Goddess Soleil fragrance, plus some foundation), I headed over to the Jo Malone counter to re-sniff their new tea scents before heading back out onto Fifth Avenue. (My favorite is the Assam Grapefruit, followed closely by Sweet Milk, both also on the "must buy" list.)

A visit to Bergdorf's is dangerous to my wallet, but for someone like me, who thrills at inhaling fine fragrances, it's a couple of hours well-spent.

Because of recent content theft, I am forced to add this new statement to the end of my posts: If you're reading this post anywhere besides the Opalescent blog, OpalescentMinx.com (also http://minxbeads.blogspot.com) then this content has been stolen. Please do not support this thief!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin