Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Annick Gourtal Songes

Notes: immortelle (helichrysum), cinnamon, vanilla, sandalwood

Marketed as a man's scent, Sables is both sweet and woodsy, with an overall quality like honeyed tobacco.  But the star of this show is the immortelle, a note that has been compared to maple syrup.  I completely get the maple, but to my nose, it's far too dry (almost but not quite powdery) to be syrup.  It makes me think of something I tasted in my childhood, something that I am remembering as a flat circular wafer-type thing.  I can't recall if it was a candy or not; perhaps it was some sort of vitamin supplement?  Regardless of my weird memories, immortelle is more like maple sugar candy than syrup.
In the drydown, I can smell the cinnamon more and my thoughts turn to crunchy cinnamon sugar-topped pastries (ok, I think about food a lot). 

I can also see how Sables is a fragrance for men, but I'd say it's a fine gourmand-type scent for women as well.   It would be particularly lovely worn in the fall, when the air is crisp and the leaves turn red and gold.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin