Monday, May 21, 2007

Apothia

Apothia is a company that sells scent, candles, makeup, hair products, etc., but they also have their own line of fragrances. I read on another blog about their "Sniffapalooza" sample promotion for the month of November, so I signed up, and yesterday, I received three small spray samples of the three perfumes in their line, If, Velvet Rope, and L.

The great thing about Apothia scents is that they come in various quantities. In addition to the usual 50 ml (1.7 oz) size, they have a 15 ml size and a .33 oz roll on oil version for If and Velvet Rope. The line isn't cheap, but if you don't want to invest $75 for a full-sized bottle, there are options.

If
Notes: citrus, white flowers, musk

I couldn't find the exact notes for If anywhere on the Web, but those bare essentials seem to be accurate enough. A huge, heady, white floral (far too floral for my tastes) with a hint of citrus, drys down (after several hours, mind you) to a subtle skin musk. I love the drydown, but can seriously live without the floral bit, as it is extremely jasmine-y. Jasmine lovers will love If, IMHO.

Velvet Rope
Notes: juniper berry, grapefruit zest, green rose, jasmine absolute, cypress leaves, vanilla absolute, white musk and patchouli

Their marketing states that Velvet Rope is, "inspired by an icy, dry, vanilla martini spiked with absolute jasmine and a twist of grapefruit." And that's pretty much what it smells like. The opening notes are definitely vanilla with a brief hint of gin and a sparkle of grapefruit. Thankfully, I can't smell the jasmine nor the patchouli, and the drydown is rather like everyone's favorite citrus and vanilla combo, the creamsicle. It's quite yummy, and I'm contemplating a purchase.


Notes: angelica, juniper, cardamom, violet leaf, Florentine orris butter, vetiver, sandalwood, musk, crystal amber

L has the same sort of violet and iris notes that Guerlain Insolence has, bringing to my mind the powdery residue left by aerosol deodorant from the 70s. There's also a nice citrusy-ness, despite not actually containing citrus, and a nice bit of sandalwood. I'm afraid I don't notice the cardamom at all, which is a shame because it's a nice idea.

When I don't hold my arm to my face, I like L a lot, just smelling it sort of wafting in the background. Up close though, that funky 70s memory just ruins it for me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin