Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Light, Sparkling, and Clean

I adore citrus. My default drink at home is lime-flavored (sweetened) fizzy water, and one of my favorite sodas is Fresca. I love to eat juicy little clementines and grapefruit sections out of hand. And I like citrusy fragrances, too. Here are two reviews of samples I've picked up recently.

Ineke
Chemical Bonding

Notes: citrus, tea, blackberry, peony, vetiver, amber, powdery musk

I sometimes have a problem with citrus notes in perfumes, as they can smell very much like cleaning fluid or furniture polish. And that's the case with Chemical Bonding. At first, I got very excited, since I could smell the obvious blackberry note as I spritzed this fragrance on. But in the time it took me to put the vial down, it was gone. Wah! I was then left with a combination of Pledge and Fantastick (or is it 409?), lemony and, er, I guess one could call that "clean." (Not sure if that was quite Ineke's intention of using the word "chemical" in the name.)

The "lemony fresh" scent subsides a bit to reveal a bit of green tea and peony. In the drydown, the earthy, musty smell of vetiver is noticeable, with the citrus and peony notes still holding strong, and then we get the almost baby-powdery musk. Still a bit too "clean" (heh) for my tastes, Chemical Bonding improves greatly after it has been on skin for a while.

Bond No. 9
The Scent of Peace

Notes: grapefruit, blackcurrant, lily of the valley, hedione, cedarwood, musk

I know the opening notes are graperfruit and blackcurrant, but I also get the impression of a fresh, juicy red plum, the kind with red-tinged flesh that I loved so much as a child. Oh, the grapefruit is there - I can detect the slightly bitter edge of that bright and happy fruit. The floral note is bright and marries well with the grapefruit. Unfortunately, this scent gets boring after that yummy plum-like note disappears. I was expecting it to be more like Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil, with it's amazing combination of grapefruit and woods, but alas, it's not.

Like most Bond No. 9 fragrances, Scent of Peace is strong, so be judicious with application.

For 2007, Bond No 9 will donate $2 to SEEDS OF PEACE for every bottle purchased.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin