Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fragrance Review Flashback - Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint

Notes: wild mint, peppermint leaf, jasmine, camomile, coriander, cardamom, bergamot, mace, cassis, ylang ylang, orange flower, rose de mai absolut, muguet, cedar, musk, mate absolut, vetiver, prune, guaiac

Somehow, mint and jasmine doesn’t seem like a particularly good combination, and I maintain that they wouldn’t be ordinarily, but in the hands of Jo Malone’s perfumers, they work very well. Of course, this is no soloflore (and would it be, with a flower and an herb?) and the ingredient list is as long as my arm.

I haven't found a Jo Malone scent that I really liked, until now. I love the way the mint smells fresh picked – there’s a very definite green herbal quality to it – rather than harsh and artificial, like some toothpaste additive. The jasmine is there, part of the greenness of this scent, and not smelling too much like jasmine to my nose. But there’s also so much going on, it’s hard to tell. There’s also a barely perceptible bit of sweet spice mingling in the background, grounding the opening notes

As the scent dries down, the mints stays dominant while the other floral notes commingle in the mid ground. Then a while later on, the cedar is noticeable and, in my opinion, this is where the scent is at it's prettiest. There's something about the combination of mint and woods with musk and soft floral notes that is really attractive to me. And it's at this point that this scent reminds me of something Acqua di Parma would do with their Blu Mediterraneo line - create something so fresh and summery, it's like being on vacation.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin