Friday, February 1, 2008

BBW Chocolate Amber

While I thought Bath and Body Works' Sensual Amber was a pleasant enough scent, I wasn't in love with it. I read several favorable comparisons between that scent and Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb and admit there's a resemblance. But it still didn't impress me enough to invest in more than just the body spray. Then they came out with Blackberry Amber and I grew more interested. The blackberry bit was too sweet for my tastes, but the drydown was a very dry, smoky, olive-y amber. One of the women I work with wears it and it smells quite sophisticated on her.

Then BBW released Chocolate Amber. I gave it a sniff while out Christmas shopping with my brother and liked it enough that he bought me the shower gel. I've been using it most mornings and have fallen hard enough for it that I invested in several more bottles of the gel, some body lotion, and the EDT.

Often a chocolate note can be sweet and cloying, or just plain artificial. I find the dark chocolate in Chocolate Amber to be just that - dark. It's dry and not sweet at all, particularly in the body products. There is some sweetness in the scent, however, a bit of berry that doesn't over-do it. The drydown is a lovely combination of patchouli and musk (maybe some sandalwood?) that is very sexy. (Yes, I used "lovely" and "Patchouli" in the same sentence.) I'm really impressed at how good this fragrance is, considering the price point. Score one for Bath and Body Works - they don't deserve the sneers that they receive from so many perfumistas.

Notes: pineapple, red berries, lemon, honey blossom, rose, jasmine, dark chocolate, honey wood, patchouli, vanilla orchid, musk

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin