Monday, March 8, 2010

82nd Academy Awards Fashion

Although I appreciate the awards shows that lure in the tackier dressers, I love the Oscars for their usual tastefulness. In past seasons, the big colors were black and nude but this year we saw color all over the place. And did it seem like every man in attendance was wearing a Tom Ford tuxedo?

Virginia Madsen wore a blue gown by Kevan Hall. I am not a fan of lace, particularly black lace, unless it's ornamenting a bra or panties. This is kinda tacky yet frumpy, and the belt seems out of place.

More tacky black lace, this time on Faith Hill in Roberto Cavalli.

I have mixed emotions about Vera Farmiga's Marchesa. I love ruffles (and these ruffles have ridges), but if you're going to put them all over the damn gown, put them all over the damn gown! That blank spot on the right hip just sucks all of my attention.

Rachel McAdams in Elie Saab Haute Couture. Didn't I say that starlets would be clamoring for these dresses?

Anna Kendrick in Elie Saab Haute Couture. See above.

Nicole Richie looks fantastic in a vintage-y feeling Reem Acra. As long-skirted and -sleeved as it is, it looks both heavy and warm, but the style is so Nicole. Perfection.

This is so not the Molly Ringwald that lives in my mind. Well, she doesn't actually live in my mind (I was never a big John Hughes fan). While I love the color, and the draping, I don't love the belt ornament and matching bracelet. And I'd love to see someone else wearing it.

The always stunning Helen Mirren wore Badgley Mischka. How does she always look so amazing?

Miley Cyrus exhibits her stunningly bad posture in Jenny Packham. I think this look is a bit too mature for her.

Meryl Streep looks completely amazing in Project Runway's Chris March. Way to hit it out of the ballpark, Chris!

I thought Maggie Gyllenhaal looked gorgeous from the neck up. Not that I didn't like her Dries Van Noten gown - it is pretty - but it wrinkled so easily and that never looks good.

Speaking of wrinkly, Queen Latifah wore a lovely pink Badgely Mischka with subtle detailing.

I don't know who Kathy Ireland wore, but I wanted to gag her during her overly-emphatic, diarrhea-mouthed pre-show performance. Shut. Up.

It's almost as if Kate Winslet wanted to deny she had breasts at all in this Yves Saint Laurent. So severe. And if she's going to make her hair so blonde, she should tone down the eyebrows a tad.


Jennifer Lopez in Armani Privé. The red carpet reporters were all peeing their pants over this dress, but it looks like pink bubble wrap, and she really doesn't need one hip to be so much bigger than the other. She looked great from the neck up, however.

Amanda Seyfried wore another bubble-wrap dress from Armani Privé. The bodice is so flat and severe, but it works on her because she's flat-chested to begin with.

Gabourey Sidibe wore Marchesa and it was clear that she loved the gown. I think it was very well-designed for her figure - the floppy off-the-shoulder sleeve is really right-on.

Elizabeth Banks in Versace. Meh.

Cameron Diaz looked amazing in Oscar de la Renta. There's usually something "off" with Cameron - if her dress is great, her hair is sloppy, or maybe her makeup is wrong. But last night she had everything right.

Diane Kruger loves her Chanel. And while I can see why, I'm not feeling this dress. I think the black is too stark, particularly around her neck.

Sarah Jessica Parker in another Chanel fan. I hated this dress on first sight, but as the evening wore on, I liked it more and more. I think the biggest problem I have with it is the stiff looking gray ornament - it reminds me of a pewter lid on a beer stein. And the hair - a disaster. It looked like she borrowed one of Princess Leia's cinnamon buns.

Charlize Theron in Christian Dior Haute Couture. "Hi! Look at my boobs!" It's almost silly.

Carey Mulligan in Prada. While I think the black is a little severe, she looks cute overall.

Sandra Bullock in Marchesa. The gown is lovely and it fits her like a glove. I would have loved to see her wearing her hair up in a sleek 'do though.

Congrats to Kathryn Bigelow on winning Best Director! I was so happy that The Hurt Locker was so successful at the Oscars, partly because I don't understand the success of Avatar. James Cameron already won an Oscar for his populist shite-fest, Titanic, he doesn't need another. Ms Bigelow looked fantastic, although her gown did make her seem unusually long-torsoed.

Did you watch the Oscars? What did you think?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin